The Veggie Delite is the lowest calorie 6″ sandwich, starting at 230 calories. Subway’s default sandwich nutrition info includes whole wheat, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and cucumbers. But remember that cheese and condiments are not included in the default values! And, of course, you can just double these numbers if you want a footlong instead.
How To Build The Lowest Calorie Subway Sandwich
Bread: Italian bread is the lowest calorie choice, saving 10 calories over the default whole wheat. 9-grain Honey Oat and Flatbread will each add 20 calories, while Italian Herb & Cheese adds 40.
Cheese: In a rather sneaky move by Subway, cheese isn’t included in the default Nutrition values. The lowest calorie cheese is American at 40 calories and the other choices are each worth about 50.
Veggies: vegetables aren’t calorically dense and add very few calories (most don’t make a difference when using Subway’s nutrition calculator), so load up on vegetables to feel more full while keeping calories low.
Sauces: choosing sauces will make a huge difference in the total calories for your sandwich. Vinegar is the best condiment choice at 0 calories, followed by yellow or brown mustard at 10. The worst choices are ranch and mayonnaise at 110 calories each.
- Vinegar: 0 calories
- Yellow or Deli Brown Mustard: 10 calories
- Honey Mustard: 30 calories
- Subway® Vinaigrette: 40 calories
- Sweet Onion: 40 calories
- Light Mayonnaise: 50 calories
- Olive Oil Blend: 50 calories
- Chipotle Southwest Sauce: 100 calories
- Ranch: 110 calories
- Regular Mayonnaise: 110 calories
Extras: Obviously, these are all going to increase the total calories. Whether they are worth adding for flavor and/or just feeling more full is up to you.
- Avocado: 60 calories
- Bacon: 80 calories
- Pepperoni: 80 calories
So, the lowest calorie ‘typical sandwich’ (includes cheese and a sauce) I could build is the 6-inch Veggie Delite on Italian bread, with American Cheese, all the vegetable options, and mustard.
- Choose Italian Bread (saves 10 calories over the default whole wheat)
- Choose American Cheese (adds 40 calories)
- Add all the vegetables you like (calories are negligible and don’t make a difference on Subway’s nutrition calculator)
- Choose mustard (add 10 calories); optionally add vinegar (0 calories) too if you like
- Skip the extras
Following these steps brought the calorie total to 270:
If you like some meat on your sandwich (I sure do!), follow the above steps but start with the 6″ turkey breast sandwich—the lowest calorie meat option—with just 50 calories more than the Veggie Delite.
Below is a list of 6-inch sandwiches, sorted by calories, last updated: May 6th, 2016
|6″ Veggie Delite®||230||2.5||44||8|
|6″ Turkey Breast||280||3.5||46||18|
|6″ Turkey Breast & Ham||280||4||46||18|
|6″ Black Forest Ham||290||4.5||46||18|
|6″ Subway Club®||310||4.5||46||23|
|6″ Oven Roasted Chicken||320||5||47||23|
|6″ Roast Beef||320||5||45||24|
|6″ Cold Cut Combo||360||12||45||17|
|6″ Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki||370||4.5||57||25|
|6″ Steak and Cheese||380||10||48||26|
|6″ Italian B.M.T.®||410||16||46||20|
|6″ Turkey & Bacon Guacamole||440||15||50||24|
|6″ Meatball Marinara||480||18||59||21|
|6″ Turkey Italiano Melt||510||25||48||24|
|6″ Chipotle Chicken Melt with Guacamole||530||25||49||29|
|6″ Chicken & Bacon Ranch Melt (includes cheese)||610||30||48||38|
- The default sandwich calorie values include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and cucumbers.
- Source: http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx
A few more tips for saving calories at Subway:
- In general, load up on vegetables to feel more full (from fiber) while adding the least amount of calories
- Mustard (10 calories) and vinegar (0) are the lowest calorie condiment choices
- Avoid the highest calorie condiments: mayo and ranch dressing, which both have 110 calories
- Oil & vinegar is a good choice for ‘healthier’ fats, but the amount of oil they put on can vary quite a bit
- For the 6 inch bread choices, Italian is the lowest at 200, while the Italian Herb & Cheese is the highest at 240