Update: I added a list, sorted by calories, to help find the lowest calorie Subway sandwiches.
I like Subway and I think they offer some great options when you need to eat out. You can find some low calorie sandwiches on the menu, but picking the healthier options can be tricky. Here are some quick facts from the Subway menu to help make better decisions the next time you’re there.
Tips for Cutting Subway Sandwich Calories
- Load up your sandwich with vegetables. The fiber will help with feeling hunger and the calories are minimal.
- Mustard and vinegar are the lowest calorie condiments. Vinegar is 0 calories per serving. Yellow and Deli Brown Mustard are 10 calories each.
- Mayo and ranch dressing are the highest calorie condiments at 110 calories each.
- The lowest calorie sandwiches are the 6-inch Veggie Delite®, at 230 calories, and the 6-inch Turkey Breast, at 280 calories (*note that these values don’t include cheese or condiments)
- The highest calorie Subway sandwich is the 610 calorie 6″ Chicken Bacon Ranch.
- Note that the nutrition values for the sandwiches on the ‘6 grams of fat or less‘ menu do not include cheese or condiments.
- The lowest calorie Subway bread is the 6-inch sourdough** at 190 calories, followed by the 6-inch Italian (white) at 200 calories. Full list of Subway bread calories
- The highest calorie Subway breads are the Italian Herbs & Cheese and Monterey Cheddar** at 240 calories each.
- Flatbreads must be healthier, right? Surprisingly, the lowest calorie Subway flatbread is the 220 calorie 6” Flatbread, Multigrain**, which is actually higher than the lowest calorie regular bread.
- The 6 Grams of Fat or Less menu sounds like the healthy option, and promises low calories, but be aware that these numbers do not include cheese or condiments—just adding mayo and cheese will add over 200 calories!
**Available at participating locations
nutrition information source